One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The arrangement of bud scales or young leaves in a leaf bud before it opens.Compare with aestivation
- ‘Recently, a third type of leaf vernation has been shown to occur in Primula.’
- ‘Circinate vernation is the unfurling of the leaves over time.’
- ‘This plant also has a folded vernation and a very smooth leaf blade.’
- ‘Leaf vernation was observed in at least ten buds per entity, manually dissected under a stereomicroscope.’
- ‘Even in face view the involute vernation is easily observed for the brief time that a leaf is emerging.’
Late 18th century: from modern Latin vernatio(n-), from Latin vernare ‘to grow (as in the spring)’, from vernus (see vernal).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.