One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rounded and elongated central part of the cerebellum, between the two hemispheres.
- ‘The ventral parts of the vermis and cerebellar hemispheres have been dissected away.’
- ‘The fossa houses part of the inferior vermis of the cerebellum.’
- ‘In contrast, the tumor in this report occurred as a solid, homogeneously enhancing mass in the cerebellar vermis of a 60-year-old man.’
- ‘In the midline, the tuber, pyramis, uvula, and nodulus are seen on the inferior aspect of the vermis.’
- ‘The vermis, running down the middle, connects with the right and left fastigial nuclei.’
Late 19th century: from Latin, literally ‘worm’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.