One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Conservative or reactionary, especially as regards apartheid.‘the gravest error he could make would be to halt his reform plans to win back verkrampte voters’
- ‘Most people, from verkrampte Dutch to conservative Muslims, are sorry van Gogh got killed and don't want this to continue.’
- ‘In the South African context of political reconciliation, the verkrampte protestation by Jubilee 2000 is just a smoke screen devoid of meaning.’
A person holding bigoted and reactionary views.
- ‘Social change and political challenges divided Afrikaner verligtes (the enlightened) from verkramptes (cramped conservatives).’
- ‘He was a verkrampte but there were times when he shed tears at the facts - and the faces - we brought to his attention.’
- ‘The founding of the party was preceded by a bitter power struggle between the verkramptes and the verligtes in the Afrikaner community.’
Afrikaans, literally ‘narrow, cramped’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.