Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Conservative or reactionary, especially as regards apartheid:‘the gravest error he could make would be to halt his reform plans to win back verkrampte voters’
- ‘Most people, from verkrampte Dutch to conservative Muslims, are sorry van Gogh got killed and don't want this to continue.’
- ‘In the South African context of political reconciliation, the verkrampte protestation by Jubilee 2000 is just a smoke screen devoid of meaning.’
A person holding bigoted and reactionary views.
- ‘Social change and political challenges divided Afrikaner verligtes (the enlightened) from verkramptes (cramped conservatives).’
- ‘The founding of the party was preceded by a bitter power struggle between the verkramptes and the verligtes in the Afrikaner community.’
- ‘He was a verkrampte but there were times when he shed tears at the facts - and the faces - we brought to his attention.’
Afrikaans, literally narrow, cramped.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.