Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] Realism in the arts, especially late 19th-century Italian opera.
- ‘First, most of them reject verismo and melodrama.’
- ‘Its setting is the Passion cycle, and the grisly subject matter perfectly suits the artist's verismo style.’
- ‘Roberto Rizzi Brignoli is a pupil of verismo's late master, Gianandrea Gavazzeni.’
- ‘Tosca, of course, is a stunner, and verismo at its melodramatic best.’
- ‘The end of the book includes a short glossary of terms to help readers with certain concepts such as bel canto, leitmotif and verismo.’
- 1.1The verismo genre of opera, as composed principally by Puccini, Mascagni, and Leoncavallo.[as modifier] ‘a splendid verismo tenor’
- ‘Mahler had completed his first three symphonies, and Mascagni and Leoncavallo were creating new orchestral colours in their verismo operas.’
- ‘The saving grace to the whole artistic endeavour is that the works are classic verismo operas with sky-high true-life grit.’
- ‘Essentially a lyric soprano with coloratura capabilities, she was at home in both Mozart and Richard Strauss, as well as in bel canto and verismo.’
- ‘These verismo pieces are more difficult than many people realise.’
- ‘Enrico Caruso was the voice of choice for verismo composers.’
- ‘Nevertheless, he still can tear passion to tatters in the verismo arias.’
- ‘In their place, courtesy of Paul Brown's designs, was the verismo of early twentieth-century Italian rustica.’
- ‘As befits a verismo opera, Puccini's work is rooted in the real Rome rather than in that of the imagination.’
- ‘But peasants had made it to centre stage even in the opera house, and operatic verismo would become an established form.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.