One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A white grape originally grown in Madeira, now also in Portugal, Sicily, Australia, and South Africa.
- ‘Another lesser-known white of great distinction is the tropical fruit-like Verdelho.’
- ‘For cakes, fruits, and mellow cheeses, Verdelho Madeira offers a bit more sweetness.’
- ‘Sercial and Verdelho are the two grapes associated with Madeira's dry style.’
- ‘The section between Valhelhas and Verdelhos has sadly been decimated by a recent forest fire.’
- ‘In our analyses all the plants showed unique genetic profiles with the exception to the Verdelhos that showed the same genotype.’
- 1.1mass noun A medium Madeira made from the Verdelho grape.
- ‘I asked Ricardo if he had tasted any of Australia's dry Verdelhos.’
- ‘Margan Verdelho was honoured as the third best Australian Verdelho in the AGT Wine Magazines Top 20 Verdelhos, 2002.’
- ‘Most Australian Verdelhos are best consumed within two years of vintage.’
- ‘The white Sercial, Verdelho, Bual, and Malvasia varieties which are classified as ‘noble’ by the ruling Madeira Wine Institute are in short supply.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.