One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The fact or quality of using more words than needed; wordiness.‘a critic with a reputation for verbosity’
wordiness, verboseness, loquacity, garrulity, talkativeness, volubility, expansiveness, babbling, blathering, waffling, prattling, prating, jabbering, gushingView synonyms
- ‘Keep it curt, Kenny, and stop soft-soaping us with your loquacity and verbosity.’
- ‘For all its verbosity, the task-force report never explains its central conceit: ‘equity in hiring.’’
- ‘Another common addiction is to replace ‘at all’ by the verbosity of ‘in any way, shape or form’.’
- ‘I have never felt so attracted to pompous verbosity.’
- ‘Yet woe to those who are silent about you because, though loquacious with verbosity, they have nothing to say.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.