One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A noun formed as an inflection of a verb and partly sharing its constructions, such as smoking in smoking is forbidden.See -ing
- ‘To avoid exceedance one has to write a rather awkward construction involving the verbal noun exceeding.’
- ‘The tendency then to mark new findings through invention of verbal nouns is recurrent and may elicit the criticism of jargon-infested prose.’
- ‘Islam in Arabic is a verbal noun, meaning self-surrender to God as revealed through the message and life of his Prophet, Muhammad.’
- ‘‘Taqlid’ is actually a verbal noun which means ‘to gird your neck with a band’.’
- ‘Since ousia is a verbal noun formed from the participle on, this is not a perspicuous statement.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.