One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A verb with another word or words indicating tense, mood, or person.
- ‘Note the future tense employed by the operative verb phrase here: will support.’
- ‘We typically identify powers with a certain standard locution, employing the infinitives of verbs along with verb phrases.’
- ‘This latest version derives a representation of the sentence in terms of noun phrases, verb phrases, etc.’
- ‘The subject nominal is in the oblique form and the verb phrase lacks tense and agreement markers.’
- ‘But that verb doesn't have to be the very first word in the verb phrase.’
2A phrasal verb.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.