1A verb with another word or words indicating tense, mood, or person.
- ‘But that verb doesn't have to be the very first word in the verb phrase.’
- ‘The subject nominal is in the oblique form and the verb phrase lacks tense and agreement markers.’
- ‘This latest version derives a representation of the sentence in terms of noun phrases, verb phrases, etc.’
- ‘We typically identify powers with a certain standard locution, employing the infinitives of verbs along with verb phrases.’
- ‘Note the future tense employed by the operative verb phrase here: will support.’
2A phrasal verb.