One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small carnivorous bog plant with hinged leaves that spring shut on and digest insects which land on them. Native to the south-eastern US, it is also kept as an indoor plant.
- ‘The cover of this one particular magazine is inescapable - inescapable like a Venus flytrap.’
- ‘On the way to the airport, he stops to dig up a Venus flytrap plant from the middle of a roadside snake farm.’
- ‘The light over the Venus flytrap was dim, but still far more than a dark elf preferred.’
- ‘Her imagery includes a dog and palm tree, a Venus flytrap and butterflies, a William Morris-type gerbera pattern, and a pineapple.’
- ‘There is no one to spot it and the rain turns the grass into a Venus flytrap.’
- ‘The 8th is beautiful but only like a Venus flytrap is beautiful.’
- ‘She is tomboyish, flat chested, skinny, with lopsided lips and a smile that opens like a Venus flytrap.’
- ‘How can the Venus flytrap indulge its taste for insect flesh?’
- ‘Larger plants, such as the Venus flytrap, rely on elastic instabilities, or spring-loaded force.’
- ‘More morbidly, the Venus flytrap slams two halves of a leaf shut on nutritious insects.’
- ‘Further, some plants (sundews, Venus flytrap, pitcher plants) trap mobile animals.’
- ‘Consider the Venus flytrap, the poster child for carnivorous plants: Its jaw-like leaves can ensnare insects in an eye-blurring one-tenth of a second.’
- ‘The dark elf approached the plant, a Venus flytrap, and released the fly to the air.’
- ‘Mahadevan likened the Venus flytrap's hinged leaves to a plastic lid that is bowed in one direction and then suddenly pops the other way.’
- ‘Rachelle had a passion for her son that is right out of Tennessee Williams's play, Suddenly, Last Summer, with its Venus flytrap mother and hypersensitive son.’
- ‘In desperation he travelled to Germany to ‘receive an experimental drug made from the juices of the Venus flytrap plant’.’
- ‘Some of these plants resemble Venus flytraps, while others look like large eggplants to which protruding tongues have been attached.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.