One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small carnivorous bog plant with hinged leaves that spring shut on and digest insects which land on them. Native to the south-eastern US, it is also kept as an indoor plant.
Dionaea muscipula, family Droseraceae
- ‘Consider the Venus flytrap, the poster child for carnivorous plants: Its jaw-like leaves can ensnare insects in an eye-blurring one-tenth of a second.’
- ‘Her imagery includes a dog and palm tree, a Venus flytrap and butterflies, a William Morris-type gerbera pattern, and a pineapple.’
- ‘Mahadevan likened the Venus flytrap's hinged leaves to a plastic lid that is bowed in one direction and then suddenly pops the other way.’
- ‘More morbidly, the Venus flytrap slams two halves of a leaf shut on nutritious insects.’
- ‘Larger plants, such as the Venus flytrap, rely on elastic instabilities, or spring-loaded force.’
- ‘She is tomboyish, flat chested, skinny, with lopsided lips and a smile that opens like a Venus flytrap.’
- ‘Some of these plants resemble Venus flytraps, while others look like large eggplants to which protruding tongues have been attached.’
- ‘Further, some plants (sundews, Venus flytrap, pitcher plants) trap mobile animals.’
- ‘On the way to the airport, he stops to dig up a Venus flytrap plant from the middle of a roadside snake farm.’
- ‘The 8th is beautiful but only like a Venus flytrap is beautiful.’
- ‘Rachelle had a passion for her son that is right out of Tennessee Williams's play, Suddenly, Last Summer, with its Venus flytrap mother and hypersensitive son.’
- ‘How can the Venus flytrap indulge its taste for insect flesh?’
- ‘In desperation he travelled to Germany to ‘receive an experimental drug made from the juices of the Venus flytrap plant’.’
- ‘The light over the Venus flytrap was dim, but still far more than a dark elf preferred.’
- ‘The cover of this one particular magazine is inescapable - inescapable like a Venus flytrap.’
- ‘There is no one to spot it and the rain turns the grass into a Venus flytrap.’
- ‘The dark elf approached the plant, a Venus flytrap, and released the fly to the air.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.