Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A short piece of narrow tube between wider sections for measuring flow rate or exerting suction.
- ‘All the additives tested were sprayed with a conventional nozzle (XR TeeJet) and a venturi style nozzle (Air Induction TeeJet).’
- ‘The pellets then pass through a venturi chamber.’
- ‘These factors predispose to collapse, enhanced by airflow venturi effect, hence resulting in OSA.’
- ‘The carburetor, throttle plate and venturi are examined.’
- ‘The venturi type nozzle produces large air-filled drops through the use of a venturi air aspirator for reducing drift.’
- ‘With a suitable modification the apparatus may be used with a venturi tube for distillation under reduced pressure.’
- ‘The accelerator pump, under rapid acceleration, ejaculates its charge of raw fuel through the discharge nozzles directly into the venturi.’
- ‘A 2-way mouthpiece with valves was connected to the venturi, thus allowing the subject to inhale ambient air and to exhale into the venturi.’
- ‘When the pressure in the venturi is lower than the atmospheric pressure, the gasoline in the float bowl enters the airstream going into the engine.’
- ‘They have patented an interface for APCI-MS that uses a venturi pump to sample air from the nose, mouth or headspace above a food.’
- ‘For the Demon, engineers developed a patented, contoured air entry that directed incoming air into the venturi bores with minimal turbulence.’
Late 19th century: named after Giovanni B. Venturi (1746–1822), Italian physicist.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.