Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Having a large belly.
- ‘The great man, with his cocked hat, his ventripotent waistcoat and spreading coat-tails, looked absurdly foreshortened and distorted, like a figure in a conjuring-glass.’
- ‘After a little, shaggy, ventripotent Pan will grow jealous, and ravish you away from me, as he stole Syrinx from her lover.’
- ‘His mind is obviously not of the finest fibre, nor his massive and ventripotent person either.’
- ‘We see the insect, which was clear−sighted, become blind; it loses its feet, to recover them later; its slender body becomes ventripotent.’
- ‘A battalion of solid metaphysicians, reinforced by a tribe of tittering harridans and three companies of ventripotent buffoons, venture a daring sally.’
- 1.1 Having a large appetite; gluttonous.
greedy, gourmandizing, voracious, insatiable, wolfishView synonyms
- ‘The ventripotent vermin were in the midst of their meal, when "our fat friend" awoke.’
- ‘He was one of the most distinguished beer-drinkers in the Schwaben Corps, of which he had been elected, by acclaim, honorary member, after emptying a "Pope" on the challenge of one of the most ventripotent members.’
- ‘General Savage, an elderly gourmet, a ventripotent Apicins, an epicurian Heliogabalus, very cynical, and awfully churlish, thought that the pill, despite of its gilding, was too bitter to swallow’
- ‘Never was seen such voracity since the days of the ventripotent Heliogabalus.’
- ‘He was a ventripotent Apicius, a real epicure; one who boasted that he never wasted his appetite on a joint.’
Early 17th century: from French, from medieval Latin ventripotent-, from Latin venter belly + potent- being powerful, being able, from the verb posse.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.