The underside or abdomen of an animal.
- ‘Reticulate ornamentation extends from venter to umbilical wall.’
- ‘The conch is thickly discoidal, with broadly convex sides and rounded venter with rounded ventral shoulders.’
- ‘Glass frogs are so named for the transparent skin on their venters, which allows for the observation of their viscera.’
- ‘When breeding, some Scutiger males exude nuptial excrescences on their venters.’
- ‘Body colors are mostly gray or brown; pink fairy armadillos have a pinkish shell and pure white, dense fur on their sides and venters.’
Early 18th century: from Latin, literally ‘belly’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.