Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for phlebotomy
- ‘I did a venesection in the same vein, the left arm had been on President Kennedy.’
- ‘Topical anaesthetics are used under adhesive occlusive dressings in children before venesection.’
- ‘Increased venesection and requests for specimens are also likely to have psychological costs for the patients.’
- ‘The successful treatment for the condition involves the regular removal of blood, known as venesection therapy or phlebotomy.’
- ‘Thirty had raised serum concentrations of transferrin and started regular venesection; four had liver abnormalities.’
Mid 17th century: from medieval Latin venae sectio(n-) cutting of a vein.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.