One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for phlebotomy
- ‘Increased venesection and requests for specimens are also likely to have psychological costs for the patients.’
- ‘Thirty had raised serum concentrations of transferrin and started regular venesection; four had liver abnormalities.’
- ‘I did a venesection in the same vein, the left arm had been on President Kennedy.’
- ‘The successful treatment for the condition involves the regular removal of blood, known as venesection therapy or phlebotomy.’
- ‘Topical anaesthetics are used under adhesive occlusive dressings in children before venesection.’
Mid 17th century: from medieval Latin venae sectio(n-) ‘cutting of a vein’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.