Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A disease typically contracted by sexual intercourse with a person already infected; a sexually transmitted disease.‘gonorrhoea is the commonest venereal disease’[mass noun] ‘prostitutes were detained if found to have venereal disease’
- ‘Dan had given her venereal disease, and the disease was in a relatively advanced state.’
- ‘And as AIDS spread, states passed laws to require notification of partners, something previously recommended only for venereal diseases.’
- ‘She attributes a major depopulating role to venereal diseases, especially gonorrhoea, which makes women infertile.’
- ‘The highly publicized incident, in which a woman identified as ‘Miss A’ accused Palma of transmitting a venereal disease to her and three other local women.’
- ‘Many suffered from venereal disease and mental illness.’
- ‘Chancroid is an unusual venereal disease caused by a bacterium called Hemophilus ducreyi.’
- ‘Sickness and venereal diseases run rampant in the packinghouses where they pack meat with their bare hands.’
- ‘Many of the clinics claiming to cure venereal diseases may be operating without licences.’
- ‘Tuberculosis has swept through prisons and other institutions, and the rates of venereal disease, hepatitis, and AIDS have grown.’
- ‘The patient had negative results on a venereal disease research laboratory test before her IVIG treatments.’
- ‘It seemed that once the men knew of the magic of penicillin their fear of infection with venereal diseases vanished.’
- ‘During the second world war he was stationed at Grimsby as medical officer for venereal diseases for the Allied forces.’
- ‘A waiting maid of Her Ladyship the Baroness, Paquette contracts a venereal disease from a friar and gives it to Pangloss.’
- ‘After American entry into World War I in 1918, the island hospitals were used to house soldiers with venereal diseases.’
- ‘The biggest health problems are tuberculosis, venereal diseases, malaria, trachoma, typhoid fever, and dysentery.’
- ‘Cholera, for instance, smallpox, and venereal disease infected large tracts of the population, often very quickly.’
- ‘He falls for Lauren who staves off her own hormonal impulses by staying home and looking at pictures of venereal diseases.’
- ‘He claimed he had suffered from a serious infection resulting from a venereal disease he contracted from the rapes.’
- ‘And nearly 50 percent are infected with venereal diseases like syphilis that greatly increase their chances of contracting HIV.’
- ‘Medicine in fact, was hopeless at looking at venereal disease, or any sexually transmitted disease, as we call it now.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.