Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to sexual desire or sexual intercourse.‘the venereal act’
sexual, sensual, erotic, lustful, lascivious, libidinous, lecherous, licentious, lewd, prurient, salacious, coarse, gross, lubricious, venerealView synonyms
- ‘For Tancred and Poussin alike, the literal wounds of passion, whether martial or venereal, have been succored by true charity and enduring love.’
- ‘Natalie turned her face away at this venereal comment, mostly to hide the blush as she imagined the scene in her head.’
- ‘Streetwalkers are a venereal roulette wheel, but come a lot cheaper.’
- ‘Fracastoro could not resolve the origins of syphilis and didn't even recognize its venereal mode of transmission.’
- ‘On the venereal horror front, David Cronenberg's 1977 Rabid was recently released on DVD, complete with director's commentary.’
- 1.1Relating to venereal disease.‘a steady increase in venereal infection’‘a plague struck the Israelites which could have been venereal in origin’
- ‘Medics also found that venereal disease increased alarmingly as the troops moved closer to Philippine urban centers.’
- ‘In WW I just over one-quarter of the diseases for which British soldiers were hospitalized were venereal.’
- ‘This compounded product is used for chemical peels, actinic keratoses, and venereal warts.’
- ‘Gonorrhea is a very common venereal disease caused by a bacterium, Neisseria gonorrhoeae.’
- ‘These may be caused by inflammatory bowel disease, local or systemic malignancy, venereal infection, trauma, tuberculosis, or chemotherapy.’
- ‘In the late 1870s the Royal Navy refused to visit, because of the virulence of venereal infection.’
- ‘Even then, you could be at risk for spreading or catching diseases that don't depend strictly on genital contact, such as herpes or venereal warts.’
- ‘Transmission is by direct venereal skin-to-skin contact, and 95% of sexual contacts of an active carrier will develop an infestation.’
- ‘An appalling number of venereal infections are caused by quite young girls who seem, on the surface, perfectly fit companions for decent lads.’
- ‘Their personal habits are so filthy, that I suspected that venereal disease was wide-spread among them.’
- ‘Genital warts, sometimes called venereal warts, are contracted through sexual contact.’
- ‘Genital warts, also known as condylomata acuminata or venereal warts, are one of the most common types of sexually transmitted diseases.’
Late Middle English: from Latin venereus (from venus, vener- sexual love) + -al.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.