Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Great respect; reverence.‘the traditional veneration of saints’
reverence, respect, worship, adoration, homage, exaltation, adulation, glorification, extolment, idolization, devotionhonour, esteem, regard, high regard, praiserespectfulness, worshipfulness, obeisance, submission, deference, awelaudation, magnificationView synonyms
- ‘What he possesses in spades is a respect that borders on veneration.’
- ‘Adoration and veneration may be the stuff of religious vision.’
- ‘They were not objects of respect and veneration; they became objects of mockery.’
- ‘Just maybe we can confront our place with awe and admiration, respect and veneration.’
- ‘They, therefore, offer worship and not mere veneration to it.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.