[mass noun] The puncture of a vein as part of a medical procedure, typically to withdraw a blood sample or for an intravenous injection.
injection, inoculation, immunization, vaccination, revaccination, boosterView synonyms
- ‘Alcohol is the preferred skin preparation for immunizations and venipuncture for blood collection.’
- ‘Eleven apparently healthy individuals gave informed consent to have a blood sample collected by venipuncture.’
- ‘We banded each bird with an aluminum or anodized color band and took two 500 - L blood samples via venipuncture of the brachial vein.’
- ‘All the blood samples were drawn by venipuncture by medical workers and were coded in the Occupational Medicine Unit.’
- ‘Heparinized blood samples were drawn by venipuncture from medical workers.’
1920s: from Latin vena vein + puncture.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.