Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The variation in velocity along a line at right angles to the general direction of flow.
- ‘The pressure-driven velocity profile in the duct-shaped device influences diffusive transport in ways that affect the use of the T-sensor to measure molecular properties.’
- ‘The parabolic velocity profile will generate a substantial distribution in residence time across w.’
- ‘The velocity profile of air moving through an airway under laminar flow conditions is parabolic.’
- ‘There is no agreement as to the most accurate index of left ventricular diastolic dysfunction, but the Doppler mitral inflow velocity profile is probably the most widely used.’
- ‘A further consequence is that, on the length scale of the cell, the oncoming velocity profile will be a quasisteady linear shear.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.