Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The final larval stage of certain molluscs, having two ciliated flaps for swimming and feeding.
- ‘The veliger usually metamorphoses in 5-6 days.’
- ‘Torsion takes place during the veliger stage, usually very rapidly.’
- ‘We did no detailed analysis of the larvae produced from these eggs but they were, based on casual observation, the lecithotrophic veligers described by Sisson.’
- ‘As all the Trochoidea, Cittarium pica has a lecitotrophic development and has a relatively short veliger phase.’
- ‘Most marine bivalves go through a trochophore stage before turning into a free-swimming veliger larva.’
Late 19th century: from velum + Latin -ger bearing.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.