The final larval stage of certain molluscs, having two ciliated flaps for swimming and feeding.
- ‘The veliger usually metamorphoses in 5-6 days.’
- ‘As all the Trochoidea, Cittarium pica has a lecitotrophic development and has a relatively short veliger phase.’
- ‘Most marine bivalves go through a trochophore stage before turning into a free-swimming veliger larva.’
- ‘We did no detailed analysis of the larvae produced from these eggs but they were, based on casual observation, the lecithotrophic veligers described by Sisson.’
- ‘Torsion takes place during the veliger stage, usually very rapidly.’
Late 19th century: from velum + Latin -ger bearing.