One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A strong suede or leather shoe or boot.
- ‘A good set of handmade leather veldskoens is also getting hard to find.’
- ‘Anthony Milne, an anguished soul in a Yucatan-style jacket and veldskoens, has been coming here since the poetry evenings started.’
- ‘We visit the factory where you can see the shoes being made and purchase or order your choice of hard-wearing, ultra-comfortable veldskoen, direct from the factory.’
- ‘He was dressed just as we were, in shirt and trousers and veldskoens, and he had dust all over him.’
- ‘Wupperthal is famous throughout South Africa today, for the quality ‘veldskoen’ or ‘vellies’ produced here.’
- 1.1South African Used as a symbol of conservative or reactionary attitudes.as modifier ‘he is a veldskoen bitter-ender’
Afrikaans, from Dutch veld ‘field’ or vel ‘skin, hide’ + schoen ‘shoe’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.