Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A strong suede or leather shoe or boot.
- ‘A good set of handmade leather veldskoens is also getting hard to find.’
- ‘He was dressed just as we were, in shirt and trousers and veldskoens, and he had dust all over him.’
- ‘Anthony Milne, an anguished soul in a Yucatan-style jacket and veldskoens, has been coming here since the poetry evenings started.’
- ‘We visit the factory where you can see the shoes being made and purchase or order your choice of hard-wearing, ultra-comfortable veldskoen, direct from the factory.’
- ‘Wupperthal is famous throughout South Africa today, for the quality ‘veldskoen’ or ‘vellies’ produced here.’
- 1.1South African Used as a symbol of conservative or reactionary attitudes.as modifier ‘he is a veldskoen bitter-ender’
Afrikaans, from Dutch veld ‘field’ or vel ‘skin, hide’ + schoen ‘shoe’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.