Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cell of a bacterium or unicellular alga that is actively growing rather than forming spores.
- ‘Species of wheat are classified according to the number of chromosomes found in the vegetative cell.’
- ‘The pollen grain (male gametophyte) is a three-celled structure composed of two generative cells encased within the vegetative cell.’
- ‘During meiosis cells exit the vegetative cell cycle and enter a linear divisional and differentiation pathway.’
- ‘Many algal species spend part of their life cycle at the sediment surface, either as vegetative cells or in resting stages.’
- ‘These bacteria exist either as spores or as vegetative cells.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.