One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Plants considered collectively, especially those found in a particular area or habitat.‘the chalk cliffs are mainly sheer with little vegetation’
plants, plant life, floraView synonyms
- ‘The first thing you should do is remove all unwanted vegetation from your planting area.’
- ‘A strip of vegetation provides food, shelter and habitat for wildlife, and adds oxygen to the water.’
- ‘By choking out other vegetation, it makes an area unusable by plants and animals that live in or depend on the water.’
- ‘Aspergillus fumigatus is a common fungus that grows on soil, plant debris and rotting vegetation in the autumn and winter.’
- ‘Clear all grass or other vegetation from the area that you have selected.’
- ‘Flying over vast areas of vegetation, the scale of the disaster caused by the floods begins to unfold.’
- ‘Mountain beavers live in small colonies, occupying areas with plentiful green vegetation and cover.’
- ‘They vary in color from light tan to reddish and tend to blend in well with the soil and vegetation in their chosen habitat.’
- ‘To establish agriculture, they cleared large areas of the native vegetation, much of which is perennial.’
- ‘The Cactaceae are among the flowering plants that dominate the vegetation of arid and semiarid zones of the New World.’
- ‘The field was plowed just before planting, but natural vegetation was allowed to regrow during the experiment.’
- ‘The location is in a heavily forested area obscured by vegetation and ground debris.’
- ‘The path would deter people from trampling a wider area of vegetation on their route to the gorge lookout.’
- ‘A few types of vegetation are widespread in this saltwater-influenced area.’
- ‘It lives in arid and semi-arid areas with little vegetation, preferring highlands and rocky landscapes.’
- ‘Water snails don't eat living plants, just decaying vegetation and algae.’
- ‘They rip vegetation from the ground and can cause damage to areas where there are large numbers of geese.’
- ‘In the boreal forest of northwestern Canada, recurring natural fires have a major effect on the vegetation.’
- ‘Very few plant species seem to be endemic to this vegetation.’
- ‘He hoped that building ponds would give ducks resting space and ample habitat for aquatic vegetation to grow.’
2The action or process of vegetating.
- ‘Two irrigation regimes were compared and plants were sampled at four stages of vegetation.’
Mid 16th century (in vegetation (sense 2)): from medieval Latin vegetatio(n-) ‘power of growth’, from the verb vegetare (see vegetate).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.