The edible root of salsify, the taste of which is said to resemble that of oysters.
- ‘Salsify is called vegetable oyster because of its faint oyster-like flavor.’
- ‘Place a second layer of crumbs and the remainder of the vegetable oysters in the dish, and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.’
- ‘Sometimes such foods are cooked with the skins on, and sometimes certain vegetables, such as new potatoes, young carrots and parsnips, vegetable oysters, etc., are made ready in an economical way by scraping off their skins with a knife.’
- ‘Stewed tomatoes are a nice accompaniment for escalloped vegetable oysters.’
- ‘It is also known as white salsify, goatsbeard, vegetable oyster, and the oyster plant.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.