One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The edible root of salsify, the taste of which is said to resemble that of oysters.
- ‘It is also known as white salsify, goatsbeard, vegetable oyster, and the oyster plant.’
- ‘Sometimes such foods are cooked with the skins on, and sometimes certain vegetables, such as new potatoes, young carrots and parsnips, vegetable oysters, etc., are made ready in an economical way by scraping off their skins with a knife.’
- ‘Stewed tomatoes are a nice accompaniment for escalloped vegetable oysters.’
- ‘Salsify is called vegetable oyster because of its faint oyster-like flavor.’
- ‘Place a second layer of crumbs and the remainder of the vegetable oysters in the dish, and sprinkle again with salt and pepper.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.