Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the Veda or Vedas.
- ‘One of the main books of Vedic philosophy is the Bhagavad Gita, and the main idea behind it is that whatever your duty or responsibility in life is, you can't opt out.’
- ‘This 95-year cycle is described in the earliest Vedic prose books.’
- ‘Prominent traces of ancient Vedic civilization can still be found today not only in India but outside her borders as well.’
- ‘Orissa is one place in India where Sun worship has been practiced continuously since Vedic times without a break in continuity.’
- ‘In Vedic astrology this time of year marks the end of the sun's southward movement and the beginning of its movement north.’
[mass noun] The language of the Vedas, an early form of Sanskrit.
- ‘Why is Vedic and Sanskrit so important for study in India?’
- ‘Their work has established the date of composition of the Rig Veda as 3750 BC and deciphered the writing on the Indus seals as Vedic.’
From French védique or German vedisch (see Veda).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.