One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of an aboriginal people inhabiting the forests of Sri Lanka.
- ‘Even Tamil-speaking east coastal Veddas are having their views heard in Colombo for the first time ever.’
- ‘With the new laws it has became very difficult to trace the descent of many of the Vedda people.’
- ‘There is quite a lot of information on the now nearly extinct Vedda of Sri Lanka but most of it is going back to colonial days.’
- ‘As you report, the Veddas have been discriminated against by recent development projects.’
- ‘Even during British times rehabilitation and resettlements of Veddas had been considered.’
From Sinhalese vaddā ‘hunter’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.