Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An Australian ladybird which has been introduced into California and elsewhere to control scale insects.
- ‘Orange and lemon growers credit the Australian vedalia beetle with saving the California citrus industry more than 100 years ago.’
- ‘Researchers raised vedalia beetles to use in orchards that had outbreaks of cottony cushion scale.’
- ‘The importation of the vedalia beetle was the beginning of the modern era of biological control.’
- ‘When vedalia beetles arrive in an orchard they can clean up a nasty problem in 4-6 weeks.’
- ‘In less than a year the vedalia beetle eliminated the pest, and a standard for biological control was established.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin Vedalia (former genus name), of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.