One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Australian ladybird which has been introduced into California and elsewhere to control scale insects.
Rodolia cardinalis, family Coccinellidae
- ‘Researchers raised vedalia beetles to use in orchards that had outbreaks of cottony cushion scale.’
- ‘When vedalia beetles arrive in an orchard they can clean up a nasty problem in 4-6 weeks.’
- ‘The importation of the vedalia beetle was the beginning of the modern era of biological control.’
- ‘Orange and lemon growers credit the Australian vedalia beetle with saving the California citrus industry more than 100 years ago.’
- ‘In less than a year the vedalia beetle eliminated the pest, and a standard for biological control was established.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin Vedalia (former genus name), of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.