Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An Australian ladybird which has been introduced into California and elsewhere to control scale insects.
- ‘Researchers raised vedalia beetles to use in orchards that had outbreaks of cottony cushion scale.’
- ‘Orange and lemon growers credit the Australian vedalia beetle with saving the California citrus industry more than 100 years ago.’
- ‘The importation of the vedalia beetle was the beginning of the modern era of biological control.’
- ‘In less than a year the vedalia beetle eliminated the pest, and a standard for biological control was established.’
- ‘When vedalia beetles arrive in an orchard they can clean up a nasty problem in 4-6 weeks.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin Vedalia (former genus name), of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.