One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The day (8 May) marking the Allied victory in Europe in 1945.
- ‘Weeks before the end of the war Mr Martin was given leave and celebrated VE day with the family of his best friend, Stanley, who served in the Navy.’
- ‘He trained with the division in England, and served with it from Normandy to VE day.’
- ‘At St Catherine's Residential Care Home in Horwich residents rolled back the years with wartime songs to mark VE day.’
- ‘Her journey was to mark the 60th anniversary of VE day, and her ship's company attended numerous ceremonies commemorating the Allied success.’
- ‘Blackburn Cathedral celebrated VE day by hosting a peace concert on Sunday evening.’
VE, abbreviation of Victory in Europe.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.