One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A padded wooden block used for vaulting over by gymnasts and athletes.
- ‘Since the vaulting horse was accidentally set too low for the first half of the competition, the Olympic all-around final was compromised beyond hope.’
- ‘Patterson was among many junior gymnasts opting to use the new Pegasus-style vaulting table, while others used the old vaulting horse.’
- ‘This is British gymnastics' high-performance centre in Toxteth, equipped with springy floors - no shoes, please - and a mechanics' pit, bars, beams, rings and vaulting horses.’
- ‘He evaded capture for 24 hours, but was caught and taken to Stalag Luft III - already famous as the scene of the Wooden Horse escape where prisoners disguised their tunnel with a wooden vaulting horse.’
- ‘A group of Allied POWs held captive by the Nazis in Stalag Luft III hatch an audacious plan (inspired by Greek mythology) to use an exercise vaulting horse to disguise their escape tunnelling activities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.