One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The fief overshadowed fealty, the benefice became more important than vassalage, and freemen began to swear allegiance to the highest bidder only.’
- ‘He understood the practice of European vassalage and the importance attached to an oath taken to an lord.’
- ‘Before then personal vassalage was common, but a considerable proportion of peasants were slaves.’
- ‘In 1163, he attempted to firmly define his rights as feudal overlord of the Welsh princes by demanding oaths of vassalage from them at the Council of Woodstock.’
- ‘Lords based their authority over other freeholders on two types of vassalage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.