A drug or other agent which causes the constriction of blood vessels.
- ‘He was admitted to the intensive care unit in septic shock and was treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics and vasopressors.’
- ‘Patients with hypotension should be treated more aggressively, with fluids, inotropic agents or vasopressors as indicated to maintain perfusion and prevent extension of the infarct.’
- ‘In this study, abrupt drug withdrawal reinduced norepinephrine dependency in 30% of patients previously weaned from vasopressors.’
- ‘Central venous catheters are used for haemodynamic monitoring, giving vasopressors and cytotoxic drugs, sampling blood, and giving fluids and parenteral nutrition.’
- ‘Patients who are being treated with vasopressors should be weaned off the medications if possible.’
1920s: from vaso- + pressor.