One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of petroleum jelly used as an ointment and lubricant.
- ‘Every winter in Pune, my skin would go dry and I would have to apply vaseline or some cold cream to my lips and face.’
- ‘They wore walking shoes and boots rather than runners, brought about 20 to 30 pairs of socks with them so that they could change them several times a day and used vaseline and methylated spirits to protect their feet.’
- ‘She got some vaseline and polished Meadow's hooves.’
- ‘I apply vaseline each morning and use nappy-rash cream each evening.’
- ‘We especially need medical supplies such as Sudocream, bandages, vaseline, syringes, any antibiotics, painkillers, even rubber gloves would be great.’
Cover or smear with Vaseline.‘the doors glide open as if their rails have been vaselined’
- ‘If you really must go for a jog in the middle of a thunder storm, remember to vaseline nipples thoroughly beforehand.’
Late 19th century: formed irregularly from German Wasser + Greek elaion ‘oil’ + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.