Each of the four Hindu castes, Brahman, Kshatriya, Vaisya, and Sudra.
class, social class, order, social order, social division, grade, grading, group, grouping, station, stratum, echelon, rank, level, degree, setView synonyms
- ‘Hinduism recognises four varnas based on occupation (jati or jat) and ancestry.’
- ‘Strictly speaking, class and caste are different social institutions, though castes are often assumed to fit into the four varnas.’
- ‘Vedic civilization is based on four varnas (divisions of society), but there are people who do not fit within these four.’
- ‘Traditionally, there were four main varnas, plus one group of outsiders.’
- ‘The varna of a person almost entirely depends on training and circumstances.’
Sanskrit, literally colour, class.
A port and resort in eastern Bulgaria, on the western shores of the Black Sea; population 318,313 (2008).