One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for Hercynian
- ‘Throughout the Sudetes, and perhaps the Variscan belt, Early Palaeozoic granitic magmatism caused deformation, possibly on a batholithic scale.’
- ‘In the late Carboniferous the northern Variscan foreland was situated just north of the Equator, and strong trade winds occurred in the equatorial belt.’
- ‘The northern part of the Iberian Variscan belt forms the central zone of the Ibero-Armorican arc, an arched belt of several stacked thrust units.’
- ‘The sandstones deposited differ from all the earlier sandstones in that they contain low-grade metamorphic debris derived from the Variscan orogenic belt.’
- ‘During Variscan orogenesis further deformation and magmatism affected the North Armorican Massif.’
Early 20th century: from Latin Varisci (the name of a Germanic tribe) + -an.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.