[mass noun] A method of factor analysis in which uncorrelated factors are sought by a rotation that maximizes the variance of the factor loadings.[as modifier] ‘it is common practice to conduct varimax rotation of solutions’
- ‘A principal components analysis with varimax rotation was conducted with all 25 items.’
- ‘For the twelve questions on coping strategies, a three-factor solution was found using varimax rotation.’
- ‘A varimax rotation produced the simplest possible structure among the component loadings.’
- ‘Our decision was verified performing a principal components analysis using the varimax procedure on all color variables.’
- ‘The factor matrix was rotated using the varimax method to optimize variable loadings.’
1950s: blend of variance and maximum.