Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A method of factor analysis in which uncorrelated factors are sought by a rotation that maximizes the variance of the factor loadings:[as modifier] ‘it is common practice to conduct varimax rotation of solutions’
- ‘Our decision was verified performing a principal components analysis using the varimax procedure on all color variables.’
- ‘The factor matrix was rotated using the varimax method to optimize variable loadings.’
- ‘A varimax rotation produced the simplest possible structure among the component loadings.’
- ‘For the twelve questions on coping strategies, a three-factor solution was found using varimax rotation.’
- ‘A principal components analysis with varimax rotation was conducted with all 25 items.’
1950s: blend of variance and maximum.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.