Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Consisting of several different colours.‘the varicoloured light from the lanterns’
multicoloured, particoloured, varicoloured, multicolour, many-coloured, many-hued, polychromatic, colourful, prismatic, rainbow-like, rainbow, kaleidoscopic, psychedelic, jazzy, harlequin, motleyView synonyms
- ‘Thin and with a rock star's tufts of varicolored black and blond hair, Adamz is his band's lead singer, guitarist and songwriter.’
- ‘Decoration could be chased or applied, such as borders of silver or gold, or floral swags, laurel wreaths, and stylized scrolls in varicolored gold.’
- ‘Strange flashes of varicoloured, rainbow light began to appear and disappear on the path before me.’
- ‘Blessed with white-sand, varicoloured sunsets and warm tropical water, Waikiki, a must-go resort in Honolulu, attracts millions of visitors year round to bask in its playgrounds.’
- ‘A color-plate section on glossy paper contains forty-six photos of cut gems and mineral specimens and includes a color photo of the famous Hamlin varicolored tourmaline necklace.’
- ‘Each little blossom has distinct varicolored markings with yellow and white centers.’
Mid 17th century: from vari- + coloured.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.