Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who studies variations in usage among different speakers of the same language.as modifier ‘in the variationist tradition’
- ‘Thus, variationists try to discover patterns in the distribution of alternative ways of saying the same thing, i.e. the social and linguistic factors that are responsible for variation in ways of speaking.’
- ‘A problem for variationist research lies in identifying what ‘counts’ as syntactic variation.’
- ‘Horvath is a variationist sociolinguist whose work on Australian English is internationally recognized for its comprehensiveness and methodological acuity.’
- ‘We hope that this cooperative dialogue between variationists and theorists will facilitate more collaborative research and increase our understanding of morphosyntactic variation.’
- ‘Language variationists study how languages vary along geographical or social lines or along lines of age and gender.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.