Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A semiconductor diode with a capacitance dependent on the applied voltage.
- ‘The varactors have been employed in VCO circuits operating at frequencies in excess of 40 GHz.’
- ‘The most significant use of varactors to date has been as the basic component in parametric amplifiers.’
- ‘This paper presents a performance evaluation and comparison of three different types of CMOS varactors based on measurements.’
- ‘This nonlinearity allows the varactor to be used also as a harmonic generator.’
- ‘They key to understanding how a varactor or varicap diode works is to look at what a capacitor is and what can change the capacitance.’
1950s: from elements of variable reactor.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.