One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical element of atomic number 23, a hard grey metal of the transition series, used to make alloy steels.
- ‘Nitrogen additions to high-strength steels containing vanadium have become commercially important because the additions enhance precipitation hardening.’
- ‘Could you add carbon to titanium or vanadium to make them even harder and stronger?’
- ‘For high strength grades, aluminum, vanadium, or columbium may be used for grain refinement.’
- ‘When waste oils are burned in incinerators, toxic metals such as nickel, vanadium and cadmium get ensnared in the particles given off into the atmosphere.’
- ‘Among the most important minerals for supplementation are chromium, magnesium, and vanadium.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Old Norse Vanadis (a name of the Scandinavian goddess Freya).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.