One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of two regions of intense radiation partly surrounding the earth at heights of several thousand kilometres.
- ‘A 6000 kilometer area between the two Van Allen belts was previously thought to be a ‘safe zone’ where lighter, smaller, cheaper, and less heavily shielded satellites could operate.’
- ‘However, it could also be due to a trapped-particle belt around the star - much like the Van Allen belts surrounding the Earth - or even a disk of debris orbiting the star.’
- ‘Radiation from the Van Allen belt would kill any astronaut that spent enough time there.’
- ‘This so-called ‘safe-zone’ sits in between the radiation-stuffed Van Allen belts.’
- ‘The invisible Van Allen belts that circle Earth in a region known as the magnetosphere trap much of this radiation and serve as an umbrella that protects people in low Earth orbit or below.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.