Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The mechanism that controls the opening and closing of the cylinder valves in a steam engine or internal combustion engine.
- ‘So long a run could not have been achieved before modification of the valve gear, as the high coal consumption would have emptied the tender of fuel far from ‘home’.’
- ‘Without a way to rebuild the engine at the track, he sat out the rest of qualifying and rolled the car out for the first round of eliminations with the valve gear on the offending cylinder disabled, so the car was running on three cylinders.’
- ‘The engine features refinements such as a redesigned alternator, an engine-mounted air-filter and valve gear utilising roller-ended rocker arms.’
- ‘The valve gear was between the frames and was of an almost unique scissors type.’
- ‘If viable gas reserves are discovered the rig will be removed and replaced with valve gear to allow further evaluation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.