One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The mechanism that controls the opening and closing of the cylinder valves in a steam engine or internal combustion engine.
- ‘So long a run could not have been achieved before modification of the valve gear, as the high coal consumption would have emptied the tender of fuel far from ‘home’.’
- ‘The engine features refinements such as a redesigned alternator, an engine-mounted air-filter and valve gear utilising roller-ended rocker arms.’
- ‘If viable gas reserves are discovered the rig will be removed and replaced with valve gear to allow further evaluation.’
- ‘The valve gear was between the frames and was of an almost unique scissors type.’
- ‘Without a way to rebuild the engine at the track, he sat out the rest of qualifying and rolled the car out for the first round of eliminations with the valve gear on the offending cylinder disabled, so the car was running on three cylinders.’
valve gear/ˈvalv ɡɪə/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.