One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action of attempting to exhale with the nostrils and mouth, or the glottis, closed. This increases pressure in the middle ear and the chest, as when bracing to lift heavy objects, and is used as a means of equalizing pressure in the ears.
- ‘A sudden and forceful Valsalva maneuver can result in the lack of coordination of different muscles of expiration.’
- ‘Patients may be able to force food through the esophagus by performing a Valsalva maneuver, or they may regurgitate undigested food.’
- ‘We tried some Valsalva manoeuvres, followed by carotid sinus massage, each with no effect.’
- ‘Finally, the examiner should ask the patient to stand, sit, squat and perform Valsalva's maneuvers to be sure that the device will not become dislodged.’
- ‘When performing strengthening exercises, patients should be instructed not to perform the Valsalva maneuver during the activity, as this can cause hypotension.’
Late 19th century: named after Antonio M. Valsalva (1666–1723), Italian anatomist.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.