Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nounmass nounNorth American
- informal term for coccidioidomycosis
- ‘Without proper treatment, valley fever can lead to severe pneumonia, meningitis, and even death.’
- ‘At first, the ban was due to an epidemic of rift valley fever, which killed more than 300 people in Saudi Arabia and Yemen.’
- ‘Valley fever can devastate the body, causing skin ulcers and abscesses.’
- ‘The rash that sometimes accompanies valley fever is made up of painful red bumps that may later turn brown.’
- ‘In addition, some of the sea otters the researchers examined had suffered from valley fever.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.