One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tranquillizing muscle-relaxant drug used chiefly to relieve anxiety.Also called diazepam
- ‘I knew that she kept her Valium in a bottle in the bag.’
- ‘His mother, Laura, had overdosed on Valium, the drug her doctors had prescribed for her bouts of depression.’
- ‘Drugs used to relieve anxiety, such as Valium, may lessen your interest in sex.’
- ‘Lavender has sedative effects comparable to drugs such as Valium.’
- ‘A Yorkshire Labour MP will today spearhead a new alert over the dangers of Valium and other benzodiazepine tranquillisers.’
1960s: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.