Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A Eurasian plant which typically bears clusters of small pink or white flowers.
- ‘Plant red valerian and centranthus, with their domes of nectar-rich flowers against walls or in cracks and crevices.’
- ‘Down by the pool, sown among the large white rocks that were dug out of the hillside to accommodate it, are white valerians, more grasses, lavenders and sages.’
- ‘The herbs chamomile, valerian, yarrow, nettle, comfrey and dandelion can help make a success of your compost heap.’
- ‘A huge number of red and white valerian seedlings have germinated and are waiting to be thinned out, which is a bit of a chore but worth it for their frothy pink and white flowers.’
- ‘Unless it's the drug-like catnips and valerians, most cats ignore growing things.’
- 1.1mass noun A drug obtained from the root of common valerian, used as a sedative and antispasmodic.
- ‘Unlike synthetic sedatives, valerian is not considered addictive.’
- ‘Take 75 mg of kava-kava or 150 to 300 mg of valerian, both in capsule form.’
- ‘In animal and clinical studies, valerian has proven to act as a mild sedative and tranquilizer, thereby aiding sleep, even among chronic pain sufferers.’
- ‘Only one independent group has tested valerian.’
- ‘An alternative remedy for insomnia is valerian, a herbal medicine that has some reported positive effects but has not been exhaustively clinically investigated.’
Late Middle English: from Old French valeriane, from medieval Latin valeriana (herba), apparently the feminine of Valerianus ‘of Valerius’ (a personal name).
(d.260), Roman emperor 253–60; Latin name Publius Licinius Valerianius. He renewed the persecution of the Christians initiated by Decius.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.