One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in North America) a student who delivers the valedictory at a graduation ceremony.
- ‘He excelled at school and sports, and was valedictorian of his high school class.’
- ‘Imagine the limitations inherent in admitting a class filled only with high school valedictorians.’
- ‘Pat was the president of the class and a school valedictorian.’
- ‘Highly intelligent, my mother graduated as valedictorian of her high school class.’
- ‘She had graduated as valedictorian of her class and was now pursuing an undergraduate degree in accounting.’
- ‘He graduated valedictorian from his high school class.’
- ‘Five valedictorians represented their respective graduating classes and recounted the journeys to their achievement.’
- ‘He graduated high school in 1924 as the valedictorian, and moved to Memphis, Tennessee.’
- ‘More than 50 years after graduating, the class valedictorian gets her long delayed moment of glory.’
- ‘As the class valedictorian, he was obliged to give a speech.’
- ‘She graduated as the valedictorian of her high school class, securing a space at Spelman, the all black women's college in Atlanta.’
- ‘She has been checking with area alumni to compile lists of the valedictorians and salutatorians for each graduating class as well as records set by past district athletes.’
- ‘How many of our high-school valedictorians will come back here after college?’
- ‘In 1720 he graduated from Yale as the valedictorian of his class.’
- ‘I showed up at West Point and found that 60% of my classmates were team captains, and 20% were valedictorians.’
- ‘She thrived academically in high school, particularly in the sciences, and graduated as valedictorian.’
- ‘She had always assumed that she would be the valedictorian in grade twelve.’
- ‘As Vincent graduated valedictorian of his high school class, his speech honored his most dear and loyal friend, Vaughn.’
- ‘My brother Charles, though valedictorian of his high school class, never had an opportunity to go on to college.’
- ‘Last spring, their daughter graduated as the valedictorian of her high school class.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.