One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The state of living as a vagrant; homelessness.‘a descent into vagrancy and drug abuse’
homelessness, drifting, roving, roaming, wandering, travelling, itinerancy, migrancy, nomadism, vagabondismView synonyms
- ‘On Thursday, six of the homeless people who were arrested for vagrancy were released.’
- ‘Famously, he spent a spell as a Highgate Cemetery gravedigger, and was later also deported from Spain for vagrancy while busking in Barcelona.’
- ‘It is apparent that the authorities lack the determination and will power to solve the persistent problem of vagrancy.’
- ‘The question of the future of the banana industry also earned a place on the list as well as policies to improve life in poor communities in an effort to reduce crime, drugs, prostitution and vagrancy.’
- ‘The report concluded that prison terms for relatively minor offences including vagrancy and larceny destabilised family and spousal relationships, and led to a loss of accommodation and employment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.