One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A handbook or guide that is kept constantly at hand for consultation.‘his book is an excellent vade mecum for writers’
handbook, companion, manual, guide, guidebook, reference book, instruction book, abc, primerView synonyms
- ‘It was the type of vade mecum that I wish someone had given me my junior year of high school.’
- ‘Every generation of young Christians needs a vade mecum to guide them through their times.’
- ‘Legal Lynching is a convenient vade mecum on the death penalty, descriptive as well as critical.’
- ‘This is a very impressive publication that should become a vade mecum to all those interested in Scottish history.’
- ‘No actor should step on a set without having digested this vital vade mecum.’
Early 17th century: modern Latin, literally ‘go with me’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.