Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Distillation of a liquid under reduced pressure, enabling it to boil at a lower temperature than normal.
- ‘All of the liquid amines were purified by vacuum distillation just before use.’
- ‘Undecylenic acid is produced commercially by the vacuum distillation of castor bean oil.’
- ‘We also purify the glycerol by vacuum distillation.’
- ‘Samples were kept frozen until the extraction of xylem water by cryogenic vacuum distillation from stem samples.’
- ‘One method, particularly common in Germany, is a process of vacuum distillation, whereby wine, at extremely low pressures at normal room temperatures, is separated into various fractions in a tall column.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.