One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The inability to decide between different opinions or actions; indecision.‘the First Minister's vacillation over the affair’
dithering, indecision, indecisiveness, irresoluteness, uncertainty, unsureness, doubt, wavering, teetering, temporization, hesitation, oscillation, fluctuation, inconstancyView synonyms
- ‘But behind the scenes there has been vacillation, from politicians and civil servants alike, over costs and funding and location.’
- ‘In a way, the organisers were pre-empting any possible vacillation in the minds of children and prevent them from becoming child workers.’
- ‘The vacillation between being firm and compassionate pulls apart every policy proposal.’
- ‘After some vacillation, sister Agatha decides to give them a place to hide.’
- ‘Let's have no more vacillation - if the Government can't decide, the people should.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.