One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The inability to decide between different opinions or actions; indecision.‘the First Minister's vacillation over the affair’
dithering, indecision, indecisiveness, irresoluteness, uncertainty, unsureness, doubt, wavering, teetering, temporization, hesitation, oscillation, fluctuation, inconstancyView synonyms
- ‘The vacillation between being firm and compassionate pulls apart every policy proposal.’
- ‘After some vacillation, sister Agatha decides to give them a place to hide.’
- ‘In a way, the organisers were pre-empting any possible vacillation in the minds of children and prevent them from becoming child workers.’
- ‘Let's have no more vacillation - if the Government can't decide, the people should.’
- ‘But behind the scenes there has been vacillation, from politicians and civil servants alike, over costs and funding and location.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.