One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Cowpox, or the virus which causes it.
- ‘Smallpox vaccine contains live vaccinia virus, a milder cousin of the variola virus.’
- ‘A live, replicating virus, vaccinia can cause side effects, which on rare occasions can be serious and potentially life-threatening.’
- ‘Jenner waited only four years before declaring that the vaccine that he named vaccinia provided immunity from smallpox for life.’
- ‘Then the immune-impaired and those susceptible to vaccinia complications could be inoculated against vaccinia while everyone else is inoculated against smallpox.’
- ‘The live vaccinia virus that is used for the smallpox vaccination is admittedly the most dangerous vaccine in use.’
Early 19th century: modern Latin, from Latin vaccinus (see vaccine).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.